By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
- Introduces previous English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on historic and cultural contexts within the box of medieval studies.
- Treats nearly the total variety of textual forms preserved in previous English.
- Considers the creation, reception and makes use of of outdated English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds the most important to realizing outdated English literature.
- Offers very huge bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon reports is uniquely put to give a contribution to present literary debates.
Read Online or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
The 1st accomplished learn of Spanish writings on East and Southeast Asia from the Spanish colonial interval, they wish not anything attracts recognition to many crucial yet understudied Spanish-language texts from this period. Robert Richmond Ellis presents a fascinating, interdisciplinary exam of the way those writings depict Asia and Asians as either just like and assorted from Europe and Europeans, and info how East and Southeast Asians reacted to the Spanish presence in Asia.
The arguments used to justify the deposition of Richard II in 1399 created new kinds of political dialogue which constructed along new expectancies of kingship itself and which formed political motion and debate for hundreds of years to return. This interdisciplinary examine analyses the political language and literature of the early Lancastrian interval, quite the reigns of Henry IV (1399–1413) and Henry V (1413–1422).
This publication reports a number of of Mark Helprin’s novels by way of their relation to Dante’s Divine Comedy. The authors show Soldier of the nice struggle, In sun and in Shadow, and Winter’s story considerably correspond to, respectively, Dante’s Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso. the writer himself has said his debt to Dante and references to the Comedy look all through his works.
This can be the 1st examine contemplating the reception of Greek tragedy and the transformation of the tragic suggestion in Hellenistic poetry. the point of interest is on third-century Alexandria, the place the Ptolemies fostered tragedy as a theatrical shape for public leisure and as an authentic style cultivated via the Pleiad, while the students of the Museum have been commissioned to edit and touch upon the classical tragic texts.
- Authors of the Middle Ages, Volume II, Nos 5–6: Historical and Religious Writers of the Latin West: 2
- Medieval Scholarship: Biographical Studies on the Formation of a Discipline: History: 1 (Garland Library of Medieval Literature)
- On Civic Republicanism: Ancient Lessons for Global Politics
- The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville
- Feminism in the Novels of Shashi Deshpande
- The Silent Masters: Latin Literature and Its Censors in the High Middle Ages (Modern Greek Studies)
Extra info for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain