By Sarah Salih
Dr SARAH SALIH is a Lecturer in English on the collage of East Anglia.
members: SAMANTHA RICHES, MARY BETH lengthy, CLAIRE M. WATERS, ROBERT turbines, ANKE BERNAU, KATHERINE J. LEWIS, MATTHEW WOODCOCK
Read or Download A Companion to Middle English Hagiography PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The 1st finished examine of Spanish writings on East and Southeast Asia from the Spanish colonial interval, they want not anything attracts realization to many crucial yet understudied Spanish-language texts from this period. Robert Richmond Ellis presents a fascinating, interdisciplinary exam of ways those writings depict Asia and Asians as either just like and varied from Europe and Europeans, and info how East and Southeast Asians reacted to the Spanish presence in Asia.
The arguments used to justify the deposition of Richard II in 1399 created new sorts of political dialogue which constructed along new expectancies of kingship itself and which formed political motion and debate for hundreds of years to come back. This interdisciplinary research analyses the political language and literature of the early Lancastrian interval, fairly the reigns of Henry IV (1399–1413) and Henry V (1413–1422).
This booklet reviews numerous of Mark Helprin’s novels when it comes to their relation to Dante’s Divine Comedy. The authors show Soldier of the good struggle, In sun and in Shadow, and Winter’s story considerably correspond to, respectively, Dante’s Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso. the writer himself has stated his debt to Dante and references to the Comedy seem all through his works.
This is often the 1st research contemplating the reception of Greek tragedy and the transformation of the tragic proposal in Hellenistic poetry. the point of interest is on third-century Alexandria, the place the Ptolemies fostered tragedy as a theatrical shape for public leisure and as an respectable style cultivated via the Pleiad, while the students of the Museum have been commissioned to edit and touch upon the classical tragic texts.
- T. Calpurnius Siculus: A Pastoral Poet in Neronian Rome (Trends in Classics - Supplementary Volumes)
- Beowulf and Other Stories: A New Introduction to Old English, Old Icelandic and Anglo-Norman Literatures
- Perfidy and Passion: Reintroducing the Iliad (Wisconsin Studies in Classics)
- Nicholas Love's Mirror and Late Medieval Devotio-Literary Culture: Theological politics and devotional practice in fifteenth-century England
- Old English Literature and the Old Testament (Toronto Anglo-Saxon)
- Migrationen im Mittelalter: Ein Handbuch (De Gruyter Reference) (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Middle English Hagiography
A Companion to Middle English Hagiography by Sarah Salih